Glaucoma is not a single disease. It is actually a group of eye diseases that cause damage to the optic nerve due to an increase in pressure inside the eye, which is called intraocular pressure (IOP). When detected in the earl stages, glaucoma can often be controlled, preventing severe vision loss and blindness. Here at Cambridge Eye Associates we have advanced diagnostic testing to help aid in the diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma.
Prevention is possible only with early detection and treatment. Since symptoms are often absent, regular comprehensive eye exams which include glaucoma screening are essential because once any vision is lost due to glaucoma, it cannot be restored.
While anyone can get glaucoma, the following traits put you at a higher risk:
- Over 60 years of age;
- Family history of glaucoma;
- People with severe nearsightedness;
- Certain medications (e.g. steroids);
- Significant eye injury (even if it occurred in childhood);
- Hispanic, Latino, or Asian descent; and
- African Americans over the age of 40.
*Saturday Hours By Appointment Only
Our Monday hours will be changing on July 1, 2023 to 8am-5pm.